Many of my friends frequently ask me how to attach a headboard to a bed frame. As I have used various types of beds, I have obvious ideas about attaching headboard to a frame. If you use a normal bed frame, probably it doesn’t have any headboard attached. You will want to make your bed frame more efficient and smart by attaching one. So, how to attach headboard to bed frame? Read on for proper guidelines on attaching the headboard to your bed frame.
Check Bed Frame
First of all, you need to check carefully your bed frame. Most of the bed frames come with very common structure. Brackets turn up with every bed frame as part of the construction. Not each user exactly realizes the activities of these brackets. Make sure that both brackets are attached of the frame’s head sides.
Two types of brackets are usually used on bed frame. These are made to match accurately with the very usual types of headboards. We know most common headboards are bolt-on and hook-on. Bolt-on is very much popular while hook-on a bit less. A general bed frame intended to be bolted-on and its brackets contain slots. On contrary, you will notice hooks are attached in the last part of a hook-on bed frame.
It is important to confirm that the bracket style fits the headboard style and others. Sometimes, headboard does not match correctly; however, it is not a problem. You need to acclimatize the brackets to make it ideally fit the other styles. You can do it with some additional components.
Open the headboard’s packet and bring it out. Check cautiously if there is any damage. You need to check the headboard’s compatibility with your bed frame. Check the leg side. A bolt-on headboard commonly has holes for the secure bolts to be drilled into the legs. Contrariwise, a hook-on leg generally has slits to attach the hooks. The headboard package contains all other necessary parts that are required to attach the two pieces. You need to check out which is missing, if something is missing try to replace.
Tools You Need
- Bolts (4 or 8)
- Washers (8 or 16)
- Nuts (4 or 8)
- Wrenches (2)
- Adapter plates (2, optional)
A Bolt-on Headboard
The following tips will assist you to know the most common bolt-on headboard and usual bed frame combination. You can attach a bolt-on headboard to a bed frame with ease. However, each frame comes with slightly different features, so make sure to read the attaching guidelines carefully which are included with the product.
- First, shift the bed frame and headboard from the wall so that you get enough space to work finely. If possible, put something protective on your floor to prevent the parts from damage. Keep them in a distance from the wall to avoid scratches and scuffs.
- You may need help of another person in this stage. Place the headboard in the right position adjacent to the frame. Line up the headboard leg’s bottom screw holes with the slots which are available in bed frame brackets.
- Glide a washer from the incorporated parts onto a bolt. In the bracket area, put in a bolt through a slot. Repeat the step into the headboard leg too. Glide a washer on top of the bolt if it is fixed on another side of the headboard’s leg. Now, screw a nut on top of the bolt waiting to finger-tight.
- Do again on the different side. It is fine to make both sides protected before you attach the residual bolts. Then just add other bolts on each leg in the same way.
- Measure the distance between the edge of the headboard legs and the edge of the headboard brackets. Make sure that the headboard is side to side and perfectly centered. Onto the bed frame, apply a carpenter’s height.
- Make sure the headboard is placed efficiently on the exact place. For enough security, tighten the bolts with a wrench or pliers.
- Take a look on the bolts of headboard legs. If they stick out through, wrap them with protective cover so that they do not spoil your walls.
A Hook-on Headboard
Here are necessary guidelines on how to attach a headboard to a wooden bed frame or a metal bed frame. It is actually for a hook-on headboard and the first step is same as a bolt-on. You need to prepare the working environment, ensure your space has enough room to prevent damage. After that follow the below steps:
- Place the headboard in the appropriate point against the frame. Make sure the slots in the legs face the frame. Line up all the slots in legs with hooks available in the brackets.
- Inlay each end of the hooks on top of bed frame’s one side into the leg’s slots.
- Add the hooks within the legs; repeat this on the other side. Finish connecting all the hooks. Press down resolutely on the frame rails to secure the brackets into exact place.
- Hook-on headboard normally does not harm your walls, so don’t worry to cover the bolts.
About A Footboard
It is a very common query that how to attach a footboard to a metal bed frame or wooden bed frame? If you want matching footboards, you can buy them together with side rails and a headboard. After collecting them, you need to put them together. Sometimes, it comes in such a condition that you do not need to add it with the frame. It depends on the structure of your piece. If you need to add the footboard to the frame you have, it is actually the same method as adding a headboard. Most frames do not have footboard brackets and so, you need to add a few brackets to the bed frame. After adding brackets, you can follow the same steps mentioned above.
Make sure that your selected bolts are compatible with your products. Choose long enough bolts to expand through both the bed frame and the headboard, additionally accommodate an ideal size nut on the end.
Formal wooden beds will need longer bolts while metal beds will require shorter bolts. For the adapter plates, you might require longer bolts for attaching the plates with the headboard. On the other hand, you might need shorter bolts for attaching the plates with the bed frame.