DISCLAIMER: THERE ARE AFFILIATE LINKS IN THIS POST. THIS MEANS THAT AT NO COST TO YOU, WE WILL RECEIVE A SMALL COMMISSION IF YOU PURCHASE THROUGH OUR LINK. YOU MAY READ FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY FOR MORE INFORMATION.
People raise their beds for enjoying various extra benefits. Properly raising your bed can make additional storage area or simply make it trouble-free to enter in and out of the bed. Before enjoying the raised bed, you need to know how to raise a bed frame off the floor.
It’s good enough to attach a little bonus size to the bed by creating own bed risers or buying bed risers from market. After managing your bed risers, just get someone to assist you for putting them on and relish your customized bed!
Purchasing Bed Risers
There are a few options available in the market; wood, plastic and metal bed risers. You need to decide among these materials. These are the most common materials that help your bed to rise properly. Among them, plastic is quite cheaper and not pretty durable like other two materials. Wooden and metal risers both have enough popularity among users. These are strong and durable. Both types can hold huge weight and last longer. Wooden risers are attractive and certainly they cost more.
- Select risers that will include the dimension you would like to want. Bed risers come in a wide range of dimensions, usually varying the height between 2.5 cm and 30 cm. Use a good measuring tape to find out how much dimension you like to attach to your bed in centimeters or inches. Opt for the bed risers that will provide your bed the actual additional raise you desire. Many plastic risers can heap on the top of each other that can permit you to modify the height you adjoin. If you are unable to find out the ideal risers, you can use the plastic risers.
- Collect perfect risers that can properly support your bed with maximum possible weight. Each product comes with clear instructions and you can know how much weight the riser supports. Make sure that you add all possible weights that can be placed on bed such as your own weight, your partner’s weight who can share the bed and the weight of mattress. If your mattress is larger, you should buy more durable risers. Generally, a set (contains 4 risers) can support over 450 kg (1,000 pounds). However, you can find ideal riser that will support your bed in excellent way.
- You can keep the risers covered or exposed. You can easily conceal your risers with long sheets or bed skirts. If you want to leave the risers exposed, make sure to pick some that will properly match your room’s style. If you do not prefer to cover them, be careful about their looks. Many risers come with neutral colors and match the surroundings properly. If you like adding an attractive color, you can search bed risers in brighter shades. Many bright colors available like yellow, red and pink.
Making Own Bed Risers
- I have noticed that most people like to buy bed risers. However, you can also make your own bed risers according to your requirements. First of all, collect four strong wooden blocks. It can be a nice DIY project. Wood is the most perfect material for making bed risers. Cedar blocks are sturdy and stable, lasts longer as a bed riser. It looks also polite in any room. If you don’t have any wood parts in your home, you can buy them from any home supplies.
- Saw the wood blocks to an identical size, the same height. Choose how elevated you desire to increase your bed. Be sure that each riser comes to the equal size. Saw them properly at the closing stages you like to use as the riser’s top. If you accidentally saw them unequally, the more level part of the wood block will be competent to sit against the ground. When purchasing, ask the store to give you wood blocks with the same size for you. They can make accurate wood piece with a powerful power saw if you don’t have one.
- Add the felt to the riser’s bottoms. Felt patches prevent risers from scratching the floor. You can use glue on felt’s back. It will secure the bottom of the risers.
- Drill 1.3 cm to 1.9 cm notch to strengthen the bedposts. Quantify the bedposts to decide the width at the bottom. Then select a drill bit that can produce a little indent at riser’s top that the bedpost will capacitate nicely. This will assist to keep your bedpost in right position and maintain the bed frame constant and protected.
Placing Bed Risers
Get a family member or friend to assist you. You need to keep away both mattress and bed frame to place the new bed risers properly. Doing it alone make the whole process very troublesome, so get help from someone.
- First, take away the mattress from your bed frame. With any assistance, remove the mattress. Keep that away in a safe place. Rest the products against your room’s wall so that you can easily lift back after putting on the risers.
- Lift the frame’s corner and lead the bedpost into your riser. You need to do these with your helper. It could be quite difficult if you want to do this yourself. Once the bedpost is set up with the indent or gap in the riser’s top. Carefully lessen the height of the bed frame. Confirm that the bedpost is placed securely and fairly.
- Do the same thing for all the four posts of your bed. Once this is done, lightly shake the bed to see if that is safe. Be sure that all the risers hold its bedpost securely.
- Put back the mattress on your bed frame. Confirm that the risers are secure with all the weight on bed. If all okay, your modified bed is ready to use.
You need to be more careful about how to raise a bed frame off the floor. If you saw any wooden blocks, be cautious. Using saw insecurely can harm seriously and lead to severe injuries. Do not keep your hands on the path of the sharp saw. Make sure to wear goggles to protect your eyes.
When lifting bed frame and mattress, stay your body stable, back straight and twist at knees. This way can save you from straining or pulling your back.